The SC EPSCoR/IDeA Program invites speakers to submit abstracts for podium presentation or for student poster presentation at the Annual SC EPSCoR/IDeA State Conference. This one-day conference intended for faculty, researchers, students and academic and research professionals.
The conference presentations this year will build on the 2017 Conference theme of Convergent Research and will focus on Collaborative Research among South Carolina Institutions.
Poster presentations will Showcase Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research conducted by students at the colleges and universities in South Carolina. This could be about research conducted as part of a summer research experience, a REU, a senior thesis, or a graduate thesis or dissertation, etc. Awards will be presented at the Conference for best undergraduate and graduate student posters!
Abstracts that address research topics related to the following are encouraged:
- Vision 2025: Advancing South Carolina’s Capacity and Expertise in Science and Technology,
- The NSF Big Ideas (video): Harnessing Data for 21st Century Science and Engineering, Shaping the New Human-Technology Frontier, Understanding the Rules of Life: Predicting Phenotype, Navigating the New Arctic, Windows on the Universe: The Era of Multi-Messenger Astrophysics, and The Quantum Leap: Leading the Next Quantum Revolution; and
- The MADE in SC project: Multiscale Modeling and Computation for Materials Research and Cyberinfrastructure Development, Hierarchical Structures with Controlled Optical and Magnetic Properties, Stimuli-Responsive Polymeric Materials, and Rational Design of Interactive Biomaterials
The Conference sessions will be designed to facilitate discussions and serve as a resource to identify potential collaborations by providing networking opportunities. Each presentation will be limited to 15 minutes with additional five minutes for Q&A.
The poster presentations will be available during the entire conference with special time allotted for conference attendees to read the posters and ask questions, including by judges.
Presentation Title: (15-word limit)
Author(s) Information: List of authors, titles, and affiliations. Identify the person who will deliver the presentation at the conference by adding an asterisk before the his/her name. Also include email address and contact information. Use the following format:
Fowler, A.F., Koothrappali, R.R., and *Cooper, S.L.
Research Associate, Biology Department, ABC University; Post-Doctoral Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Department, Prime University; and Professor, Physics Department, Prime University
Email address; Contact information
Presentation Keywords: Provide no more than 5 keywords about the topic of the presentation. It would be of value to use some of the Vision 2025, the NSF Big Ideas, and/or MADE in SC topics.
Presentation Abstract: (350-word limit): Abstracts should briefly describe the research objectives, methodology, results, conclusions and potential future research. The abstracts selected for presentation at the Conference will be published on the SC EPSCoR/IDeA website.
Format and Length: Use 1" inch margins, Times New Roman, and font size not smaller than 10 or larger 12.
Biographical Sketches – Podium Speakers Only (not needed for student poster presentations)
Provide biographical sketches of all authors in one separate document. Limit each sketch to one paragraph with under 200 words and include the contact information of each author.
Authors should submit their abstracts via the SC EPSCoR Submission Portal by completing registration in the Portal. Upon registering,
- You will receive a temporary password and should immediately change it.
- Log in and upload the two documents in PDF format: 1) the abstract, and 2) the biographical sketches (podium speakers only).
- Submit the proposal. You will receive a confirmation email.
Monday, February 26, 2018, 5 pm EST: Deadline for submitting an abstracts
Friday, March 2, 2018: Notification Authors
Monday, February 26, 2018: Conference Registration Opens (There is no registration fee)
Friday, March 23, 2018, 12 pm EST: Electronic copies of the presentations are due by noon to firstname.lastname@example.org.
April Heyward, MRA
Program Manager | SC EPSCoR/IDeA Program
1000 Catawba St. | Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 733-9068 | Email