MADE in SC will implement multiple strategic activities and initiatives aimed at increasing diversity in SC materials research and education and in STEM fields statewide by (1) attracting faculty from underrepresented minority groups (URM) and other underserved populations (e.g., gender in NSF-identified STEM fields); (2) increasing diversity of the graduate and undergraduate student populations engaged in materials science research, and (3) providing focused training for high school teachers interacting with highly diverse and underserved populations in their home institutions.
Objectives of MADE in SC include:
- Recruit and support a diverse faculty engaged in advanced materials research
- Increase participation of URM graduate students in materials research departments
- Increase statewide education and best practices for hiring of diverse faculty, and recruitment, engagement and retention of a diverse student pipeline
- Establish and nurture a diverse pipeline of K-12 and undergraduate students
- Support research opportunities for URM/underserved SC undergraduates
- Train high school educators working in the SC STEM pipeline in schools that exhibit high URM diversity and high financial need
More details to come.